Union staff and consultants are shaping global public health policy and practice through their service on national, regional and international committees, boards and steering groups.
Examples from 2018 include:
- Comité National de Lutte contre le Tabagisme (CNCT) France Board of Directors
- Forum of International Respiratory Societies (FIRS) Board of Directors
- Stop TB Partnership Board of Directors
- The Lancet Commission
- WHO Western Pacific Region Task Force on Child TB
- WHO Global Task Force on Latent TB Infection
- WHO Child and Adolescent TB Working Group
- TB CHAMP Trial Steering Committee
- TB SPEED Scientific Advisory Board
THE AIR POLLUTION AND LUNG HEALTH WORKING GROUP
The air pollution and lung health working group developed and delivered a workshop on air pollution for clinicians at the Pan African Thoracic Society and South African Thoracic Society 2018 Joint Congress, in Durban, South Africa. The aim was to make participants more effective in talking about air pollution with patients and be better prepared to join global conversations as thought leaders and advocates for clean air in their communities and beyond. Members of the working group launched ‘Inspire: Health Advocates for Clean Air’, a global coalition of clinicians, public health professionals and organisations mobilised for clean air action.
THE ASTHMA MANAGEMENT IN LOW- AND MIDDLE-INCOME COUNTRIES WORKING GROUP
The asthma management in low- and middle-income countries working group organised a symposium on asthma at the Union World Conference and featured the Global Asthma Report 2018, as well as lessons from The Union’s TB model to be applied to the management of chronic airway disease.